Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Movie 1 Review: Julie & Julia

So this summer I'm going to be watching movies that I haven't seen, ranking them at Flickchart.com and then talking about the movie about stuff you already knew about.

However, I'm adding an addendum to the challenge, due to availability. It will now be not just the top ranked movies I haven't seen but any movie I haven't seen and it will be 100 Movies in 100 Days.

So what gave me this idea? Well, it's the first movie on our list here on Day 1, "Julie & Julia".






Julie & Julia is about the certain period of the lives of Julie Powell & Julia Child.

Julie Powell is having a hard time adjusting to Lower Manhattan, New York after moving there with her supportive Husband. She's a writer and had failed to be able to get her recent Novel Published. So after a brain storm, she decides to make a 524 Recipes in Julia Child's Cookbook "Mastering the Art of French Cooking" within 1 Year, and then record her experience on a blog.
Julia Child's side of the story involves of how she came about to making the book "Mastering the Art of French Cooking" as she has moved on from her work as a Top Secret Government Researcher and was trying to figure out what to do in her Post-WWII life.

The story is well crafted in adaptation of the two books that inspired the movie; "My Life in France", Child's autobiography, written with Alex Prud'homme, and a memoir by Julie Powell entitled "Julie & Julia: 365 Days, 524 Recipes, 1 Tiny Apartment Kitchen"

Amy Adams does a good job of playing the entertaining yet humanly flawed Julie Powell and Meryl Streep encompasses herself in the role of Julia Child. Much in the same way as Robert Downey Jr does Tony Stark or Heath Ledger as The Joker, but obviously more cheerful.

The good thing I can tell you is that this movie is NOT a "chick flick", but is more of a "slice of life trying to find itself" type of movie. Both parallel stories tell the tale of trying to find what makes us as "Insert Name Here" truly happy. For these two, it's cooking, but I'm sure you could get that from the beginning of the film.

Overall, it's just a fun movie to watch by yourself, with a spouse, or with your family. And really, only the occasional swear word as well that I can recall.


I'm not going to give a score of some kind (Snowflake fans, I'm sorry), but I can tell you where it sits in my Flickchart list.

Flickchart Ranking
Worldwide: 3,366
Tack Angel: 177

No comments:

Post a Comment